Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Weekly Vegetarian - A challenge!

Although I believe it virtuous to my body (and arteries) to be able to actually become a 100% vegetarian, the next best thing is to do it part of the time.  So that is my challenge - to cook and serve my family an all vegetarian meal at least 2-3 times a week.  Now, although there are lots of options these days for garden patties, tofubergers and soyburgers and dogs, I know that we despise tofuweiners (ewe) and do not like garden burgers.  So this means I'll have to make the main entrees from scratch.  Fine.  One of the difficulties of being a sometimes vegetarian, ok well, more like a once or twice-a-week vegetarian, is living amongst a culture where each meal is expected to consist of at least one main entree with meat or fish or protein in it.  At least for my family, how can I make a meal that is void of meat that feels fulling and hearty, that doesn't taste bad?  Last night I think I accomplished just this...and gourmet at that! 

All from World Market -
Torini "designer" Sombrero-shaped pasta from World Market (with beet and spinach, and all kinds of flavors and colors naturally in the pasta dough),
Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash pasta sauce (spicy and yummo),
And a filling I made of steamed spinach, onions, ginger, carrots, cheese and sour cream, and garam masala seasoning. 
After cooking the pasta, filling them with my carmelized filling, I set them in a coating of sauce, topped with the rest, and baked for 15 minutes at 350.  Some red wine and, Voila!

After wondering if I'd used too much ginger and ruined it all, my hubbie after a long 10 hour day of work said, what a superb dinner, babe!  No meat, no problem!  Now this one I just made up, but I defintely need more vegetarian recipes, so I'm off to watch the Spice Gooddess on Cooking Channel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment